Other than avocado, pesto is the one topping I would put on everything and anything. Sandwiches, pasta, pizza, toast, salad, eggs – you name it and I’ve probably tried it. I’ve always wanted to attempt to make homemade pesto though and now I finally have! Here is the recipe I used (a combination of a few different ones) and a step by step instructional guide. Not only is this a crowd-pleaser for any dinner party but you can also jar it up as a gift!
What You’ll Need:
– 2 cups fresh basil
– 1/2 cup olive oil
– 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
– 1/3 cup pine nuts or walnuts
– 2 medium sized garlic cloves, chopped
– juice from 1/2 a lemon
– salt & pepper to taste
* 2 tbsp cream if you want it to be pesto cream sauce
1. Gather your fresh materials
2. Purée/pulse the pine nuts in a blender until broken down into small shavings; add the basil and do the same until well blended
3. Add garlic, salt, and pepper and blend; then slowly pour in the olive oil while continuing to blend; lastly, add the cheese and continue blending
4. For an easy and delicious dinner, cook pasta and add your fresh homemade pesto!
For my meal with friends, pictures below, I grilled chicken and sun-dried tomatoes for an extra kick.
Check out my other meals on Instagram: @zoegillespie